Skip to content
Start With a Free Consultation

Jacksonville Legal Blog

As if having our lives changed due to this COVID-19 pandemic isn’t enough, many parents who are responsible for child support payments are having a hard time making ends meet and keeping up with their payments. Even parents who are still employed are in many cases making considerably less money today than they were before the stay-at-home orders went into effect and businesses of all types started closing their doors. Not surprisingly, businesses that could remain open started cutting back on their hours of operations and services offered leaving employees still on their payrolls, to work fewer hours and make less money. Worst of all were parents who lost their jobs and are still financially affected by those shutdowns over 2 months later. Many of these have filed for state unemployment and are looking for gainful employment but with the general condition of the economy and the number of people unemployed, the scare number of jobs that have become available are in most cases filled.  Spousal support payments have also been affected and regardless of the former spouse’s financial condition this pandemic has left them in, they are still responsible for their court-ordered obligations. According to Heekin Litigation Group’s lead marital and family law attorney, Hunter Malin, asking your former spouse for a temporary lowering of payments and having that agreement approved by the court is the quickest and easiest way to reduce your financial burden. If that financial relief is not available to an obligated parent or spouse because of non-consent, then your only course of action is to petition the court for a modification based on your new financial condition. In any event, if you do not have the financial resources to make the scheduled payments, pay what you can of partial payments and keep a record as to the dates paid and amounts. You will still be responsible for any missed payments. Because of the unique situation, this COVID-19 pandemic has created, getting a court-ordered modification might take some time but will be effective from the original date your petition was filed not the date the modification was granted. If you need to petition the court for a modification you will need to provide adequate proof, loss of a job, reduction of hours worked, or pay stubs validating your loss of income before a modification will be granted. You might also be asked to provide proof of your active solicitation of employment so that you can demonstrate your continued effort to make your support payments. If granted a modification of child support in Jacksonville Fl, it is likely to be temporary since your employment condition might be temporary as well. In any event, if you have lost your job or financially suffered a loss of income and can’t meet your legal obligations, you need to seek the immediate help of a marital and family law attorney who can advise you on your best course of action.

Why You Should Choose Heekin Litigation Group

Our lead marital and family law attorney, Hunter Malin has over 20 years of experience assisting individuals and families involved in divorce settlements, child support, and child custody cases, modifications of existing orders, and paternity suits. Hunter has been working diligently during this unique time providing legal support and representation in family law matters. If you cannot fulfill your child or spousal support obligations due to the COVID-19 pandemic, effecting the financial wellbeing of many individuals do not hesitate to call him at 904-355-7000 for a free, no-obligation consultation. Hunter has the knowledge and experience to assist you in requesting a modification to reduce your financial burden and help you through this financial crisis. Heekin Litigation Group. Representation customized to fit your legal needs.


Fill out the form to get started with your free case evaluation.